How to send money to Cyprus using a money transfer service or foreign exchange broker to a Cypriot bank account.
Transferring Money to Cyprus
When transferring money to Cyprus either to buy a vacation residence there or relocate there are a handful of ways to help your odds of getting a super competitive euro currency exchange rate, improved service offering and also ensure you transfer money to Cyprus securely.
Ways to Send Money
- Debit Card – When purchasing items on Cypriot websites or utilizing a web vendor you could be offered the flexibility to pay with a debit card, nevertheless, the web website is unlikely to supply competitive foreign exchange rates when transferring cash to Cyprus or buying things on an international debit card. You are likely to be billed an admin price from your financial institution to make the settlement and also a charge from the seller’s bank. Those needing to transfer money to Cyprus to get a second home or pay a lawyer’s invoice could be required to move money to Cyprus, and therefore, will require to move Euros using their financial institution or ideally a forex broker. Various forex brokers authorise debit cards as means of payment, providing you with the convenience, whilst staying away from fees, along with getting a better euro currency exchange rate.
- Credit Card – Ideal for renting out a holiday residence or vacation property before getting to Cyprus, bank credit cards supply convenience and also financial recourse from your card company if all isn’t as it appears. However please be aware Bank credit cards use uncompetitive currency exchange rates and will possibly bill for this convenience, often this can be compensated for by air miles or reward points.
- Bank Transfer – Many will choose to transfer cash to Cyprus directly from their overseas bank account. Generally, the foreign exchange rate to transfer money to Cyprus will not be as appealing as the one a foreign exchange provider will provide, you could be needed to visit your neighbourhood financial institution branch to send a substantial amount of money to Cyprus. When sending money to Cyprus using a retail financial institution you may need to pay a transfer fee or charge of around ₤ 10-30 or international currency equivalent.
- Swift/SEPA – Swift repayments relate to money transfers to or from outside the EU. Within the EU SEPA settlements apply when moving money to Cyprus from Europe. Therefore, euro currency transfers are faster along with being much less pricey when being sent to Cyprus.
Required Bank Details to Transfer Money
Identification – when you send money overseas utilising a financial institution you will be asked to give 1-2 examples of a picture ID together with having your bank card on your person. Transfers to Cyprus typically will need to be made in your regional bank branch. If you have the option to send out cash to Cyprus utilising your online savings account, you will most likely need your debit card reader to hand in addition to the relevant logins, etc to access the account.
When choosing to make use of a Foreign exchange specialist, your ID records will all have been kept when you opened the account, your currency account manager will certainly ask you a handful of standard questions to verify the account over the phone. Their web systems appear like those of retail banks just with far better online euro currency exchange rates.
IBAN – A Cypriot IBAN will begin with the letters CY and be accompanied by 26 additional figures. You’ll require the name of the particular individual or Cypriot business you are sending out the money to complete a transfer to a Cypriot account.
Time taken to send money to Cyprus
- Typical time – for a foreign exchange broker to receive your local currency, convert to Euros and send your money transfer to a Cypriot account or recipient you need to allow in between 1-2 trading days. Commonly the recipient’s financial institutions might take a while to assign funds sent from abroad. If utilising a retail bank to transfer funds to Cyprus you should allow 1-2 days more as their handling is typically slower.
- Same-day transfer – if funds are currently in your foreign exchange transfer account you have an excellent chance of moving your Euros to Cyprus and them arriving the same day. It might take the receiver’s checking account 1 day or so extra to approve and allot funds. Financial institutions will take much longer, generally 2-4 functioning days.
Cost to Transfer Money to Cyprus
- Commission – Foreign exchange commission’s taken by banks varies from one organisation to the next. Nonetheless, one regular event is they continue to be uncompetitive when compared to fx brokers. An Fx broker will usually have the capacity to economise their clients around 1-4% when sending cash to Cyprus along with various other areas of Europe.
- Transfer Fees – A global bank will normally charge anywhere between ₤ 10 -₤ 40, or local money equivalent to move your money to Cyprus. The majority of foreign exchange providers do not charge transfer fees. None presented of on Foreign Exchange Live do.
- Exchange Rate – A financial institution will normally set a ‘day FX rate’ which will be determined when the branch opens up in the morning. To lessen any sort of FX market variations, as well as influence revenue in Euro money transfers, a margin or spread will be included to cover any type of euro money volatility. Forex brokers operate in different ways using real-time market euro currency exchange rates permitting you to make the most of positive trends along with obtaining guidance if the euro rate deteriorates.
Fees for Receive Money in Cyprus
Cyprus belongs to the SEPA payments system, if you are sending cash from Europe, you are most likely to not be charged an intermediary expense or transfer fee. If a= charge is taken, this is typically debited by your Cypriot bank account, you can generally quiz this with them directly, it is nevertheless incredibly unusual.
Limits on Money Transfers to Cyprus
You shouldn’t be limited on how much money you can transfer to Cyprus on the proviso you or your business can explain the euro money transfer. If your fx broker approves the money transfer, there is no written restriction on simply just how much you can trade.
Commonly if a transfer surpasses ₤ 500,000+ or currency equivalent your international money broker can request a copy of a financial statement to confirm your capacity to fulfil the currency transfer contract, they could similarly demand documentation to disclose the reason for the transfer (e.g Cypriot house purchase).
Transfer a Deposit to Open a Cypriot Bank Account
A bank or currency broker will more than happy to aid you with a transfer to a new Cypriot current account. Simply make certain any documentation, along with your Cypriot account information, is to hand, your financial institution or foreign exchange specialist can then assist with your bank down payment transfer and send your currency to Cyprus.
Cypriot financial institutions will insist on you crediting your account right away with a nominal amount, however, Cypriot financial institutions will typically bill around EUR12.50 to EUR90 each year for an account.
Do Foreign Exchange Brokers Transfer Money to all Cypriot Banks?
Providing the Cypriot bank in question hasn’t been blacklisted and you have bank details for the Cypriot account there should be no issue. Supply the details to your broker or bank and they will be able to arrange a transfer to Cyprus.
Safely Send Money to Cyprus
When moving money to Cyprus you are right to be sensible and have a look at the best and securest money transfer solutions. Fortunately, foreign exchange brokers, as well as money transfer business, are unbelievably mindful of money transfer fraud. Along with being diligent in your place, they will furthermore cross-check sceptical beneficiaries using their systems to flag any type of dubious transfers.
- FCA – Always confirm your foreign exchange provider is financial conduct authority (FCA) recognised. A trusted forex broker need never be reluctant to share their FCA enrolment number or an online link to its authorisation on the FCA’s register. They need to likewise promote details regarding their regulatory status on their company website.
- Guarantees – Whilst an Fx broker will certainly have no way of supplying guarantees or warranties their client accounts are held with tier 1 banking organisations. All consumer funds transferred to these ring-fenced accounts are maintained separately from their working capital and profit. If something was to occur to the foreign currency broker you can redeem the funds directly from the tier 1 bank.
- Protection – Reputable foreign exchange broker‘s solutions abide by anti-money laundering procedure to ensure they are only taking care of the transfers of trusted consumers and companies. This is continued when they trade currency and transfer funds to Cyprus, to make certain standards remain high money exchange brokers might ask for further information on transfers whose recipients look suspect. Currency exchange broker’s FX trading systems are electronically protected, they, also take advantage of high degrees of web security to stop the possibility of their consumer’s information being taken.
- Fraud – Regardless of these preventative procedures, dubious money transfers can occur within the international money transfers’ sector. You can, however, take easy steps to minimise the possibility of winding up being a transfer fraud target. Never send your password or security logins over email or be pressurised to make a money transfer by a foreign exchange provider. Make sure interaction with your broker is from a company e-mail address. If you are phoned all of a sudden by an unidentified participant of the broker’s group or currency transfer account supervisor organise to call them back to ensure they are a worker of the foreign exchange provider you deal with.
Reasons to send money to Cyprus
- Bills – Your Cypriot holiday residence or business will undoubtedly have recurring costs. These can include local state real estate tax, renovation costs, or energy bills. A foreign exchange broker will certainly be happy to arrange transfers to cover your Cypriot account also, take care of any type of sort of kind of Adhoc money transfers to Cyprus.
- Loans – If you have borrowed money from a loved one or friend in Cyprus you might desire to clear the financial debt if euro rates move in your favour. Also, if you have a home mortgage on your Cypriot villa and the euro rate continues to be in your favour you might wish to send out money to Cyprus to settle part of your holiday residence euro home mortgage.
- Family – Birthday party events, together with family members gatherings, are never far. Your foreign exchange brokerage account can be an uncomplicated means to send out monetary presents to loved ones in Cyprus.
- Property – When the Euro currency exchange rate shifts in your favour, you may wish to capitalise and make some property improvements.
- Inheritance – Regretfully many experience relatives passing away overseas. if you are unfortunate enough for this to be the situation you could need a convert inheritance proceeds back to Cyprus. A broker can sensitively handle the currency conversion.
- Car purchase – If transferring money to Cyprus you might choose to rent out or purchase a car or vehicle to commute or discover the rest of the island.
- Holiday – If leasing a house or apartment for a trip in Cyprus your forex broker will supply a much better euro currency exchange rate than your bank or debit card.
- International wholesalers – When buying oversea goods or items you will be offered several solutions from a foreign exchange provider to minimise Foreign exchange risk associated with acquiring in items from vendors that market in euros.
Foreign Exchange Brokers
Considering the services of a credible foreign exchange provider is the best way of guaranteeing to save money when sending money abroad. Savings between 1-4% are feasible which will be significant on regular transfers and Dutch property purchase money transfers. They can also provide you with several solutions to maximise the amount of currency you receive in Cyprus.
Finding a reputable Foreign Exchange Broker
Clients can compare the offerings of transfer services and foreign exchange specialists in many ways when they need to transfer money to Cyprus.
- Regulation – always ensure the foreign exchange provider you use is regulated, in Cyprus, for example, brokers must be authorised by the FCA (financial conduct authority).
- Length of time in business – typically indicating knowledge of the market, number of clients they’ve helped, stability in the market. They are most likely to have helped many other clients transfer money to Cyprus and dealt with many different scenarios.
- Transfer fee or no transfer fee – especially worth considering when the payments being transferred to Cyprus are small. A transfer fee can typically outweigh the advantages of sending the money to Cyprus via a bank or broker even if the rate offered is competitive. All brokers promoted on Foreign Exchange Live work on a fee-free basis.
- Online transfer, telephone transfers or both – online Apps are great for small transfers to Cyprus. Recourse can be slow if the money goes astray. Customer service when dealing solely online can vary. Much of this service is via a chat/text box or email. An established foreign exchange provider will operate both an online and telephone dealing service. Meaning you speak directly to an account manager who will be assisted by a back-office team or customer service division.
Find The Right Broker To Transfer Money To Cyprus
Specialists such as Moneycorp and Rational FX have vast experience in advising and assisting clients all over the globe and saving them thousands of pounds in the process.
- Customer Service – Banks are cumbersome and hard to contact from overseas. Transfer apps can be convenient for smaller payments, but don’t offer prompt customer support if an issue arises. Foreign exchange brokers offer a consistent service. All clients receive a personal account manager with a direct email address and phone number to enable easy contact and customer service if required.
- Safety and Security – All top foreign exchange brokers will hold client funds in segregated accounts. All transactions are conducted following the FCA regulations and guidelines, we strongly advise to check with your broker on the exact details.
- No Expensive Fees or Charges – Depending on the bank, for each transaction, it could cost anywhere from £10 to £4o or lochttps://app.storychief.io/wp-design/stories/166092/edit#/settingsal currency equivalent. A foreign exchange provider will process your transfer to Cyprus with no transfer fees and narrow margin (or spread).
- Better Exchange Rates – A bank will, as a rule, be making a spread of between 2-6% whereas the rates on offer from leading providers will be around 1%. Once your trade is executed, you will be provided with a deal notification showing clearly the base currency amount and the number of Euros purchased.
Foreign Exchange Contracts
A foreign exchange provider offers several supplementary services not available in banks or on many money transfer apps. These include:
- Spot contracts – Arranging a transfer and agreeing on a rate and sending the money to Cyprus shortly after.
- Forward contracts – fix today’s exchange rate for payment up to 2 years in the future. guaranteeing the cost of your purchase and avoiding foreign exchange volatility.
- Stop-loss – If your currency pair is trending lower a stop-loss protects your currency from depreciating too much, the currency is traded automatically when it hits the agreed level.
- Firm order – target a rate superior to the current foreign exchange market rate. Once the desired exchange rate is reached, the currency is purchased automatically day or night.
- Option contract – as with the forward contract but also having the ability to opt for a superior rate is the market rate improves. Typically for businesses rather than private clients.
- Regular international transfers – A payment plan to send money to Cyprus regularly
Documents needed for a foreign exchange broker account
The application to open your foreign exchange account can be completed within minutes. The first step is to apply online giving personal details and a brief overview of transfer needs. Once complete you will typically need to supply the following to get your account approved
- A valid form of photo ID
- Recent utility bill or address proof (less than 3 months old)
List of Foreign Exchange Brokers
- Boutique brokerages such and Newbridge FX offer tailored services to cater to their clients’ needs and work tirelessly to limit their clients’ FX risk.
- Midsize brokerages such as Rational FX operate both corporate and private client operations with a focus being on key markets such as France and Spain.
- Large multi-Geographic operations such as Moneycorp operate in multiple jurisdictions and have many local offices to best serve their global clientele.
Arranging a transfer to Cyprus
Once you’ve opened a foreign exchange account with your chosen foreign exchange provider the next step is to arrange a euro transfer to Cyprus. Arranging a transfer can either be performed over the phone or online or application.
Simply agree on a euro exchange rate and supply the beneficiary account details. To pay for your transfer your broker will supply a currency account which you can pay into or take payment via debit card. Once the funds arrive the currency will be converted and sent to Cyprus.
Large Money Transfer to Cyprus
When making a large money transfer to Cyprus the timing of your transfer is paramount. As an example, if a small transfer of £3000 is subject to a currency movement of 3% the difference will be £30. However, if a £100,000 experience’s the same currency market variation the transfer could be impacted to the tune of £3000. Meaning you will receive many fewer euros in your Cypriot account.
Instant Money Transfers to Cyprus
Several companies offer instant money transfers to Spain but should only be considered once all other options have been investigated. Their transfer fees will be similar to those charged by banks but rates are normally uncompetitive. As an indication they will be similar to those offered by bureaux de changes in airports and train stations.
When should I use an Instant Money Transfer Service?
Instant money transfer services to Cyprus must only be contemplated once all other money transfer options have been exhausted. If, as an example, a friend or family member has lost their money in Cyprus or been robbed, these instant money services could help get money to them quickly.
Relocating to Cyprus
For many Cyprus is considered a dream retirement destination. Once you found you dream home it’s worth contacting a foreign exchange broker to find the best way to Send money to Cyprus.
Properties in Cyprus can represent excellent value when compared to other countries and have recovered significantly since their 2016 lows. The Cypriot property index has recovered strongly, increasing to 112.33 in the second quarter from 107.78 in the previous.
The housing market strength has also fuelled a wave of developments and building permits increased by nearly 35% year on year in 2019. In total over 2400 never properties being built in the first quarter alone.
Investors should feel confident when transferring money to Cyprus as much of the property market’s strength is derived from a sturdy economy. The Cypriot economy has grown significantly in the last three years outstripping many of its European neighbours. In 2018 increasing by 3.9%, 4.8% in 2016 and 4.5% in 2015. Whilst the economy’s growth is anticipated to slow next year it’s still forecast to increase by 2.6% in 2020. The property market, however, is still expected to remain strong due to high demand.
Things To Bear In Mind When Buying In Cyprus
Estate agencies fees – Cypriot estate agent’s minimum charge will equate to 3% of the property amount. Although buyers should budget on paying roughly 5% of the property value.
Legal fees – typically will range between €850 to €1800, a solicitor’s consultation is advisable but not compulsory.
Property transfer taxes – property tax increases incrementally with the value of the property and isn’t applicable to new build properties.
Property value in Euros Transfer tax rate under €85,4303%€85,430 to €170,861 5% Over €170,861 8%
The VAT on new build properties – Buyers that opt for a new property should be conscious of VAT charges which equate to 19% of the property value. These are typically included in the property price.
First-time buyers can benefit from a reduced rate which shrinks to 5%. The property must, however, be less than 250m2 and the dwelling must be used as a primary residence.
Banks in Cyprus
Bank of Cyprus – The principal bank that many expats or second homeowners will elect to use is The Bank of Cyprus. The bank boasts 108 branches and offices and many more ATM locations. To ensure a swift application process before your arrival in Cyprus, you can even apply in one of their UK branches which are based in Birmingham, Manchester and London. Their product range is comprehensive, including retail and business banking and all types of insurance.
Hellenic Bank – Hellenic Bank has a keen focus on online services and offers the ability to bank on your PC or via the application. It also offers business banking, loans and financing and a multitude of insurance policies. It boasts roughly 50 branches throughout Cyprus and a decent ATM network.
Alpha Bank – Strictly speaking a Greek bank, Alpha Bank also offers a diverse array of products for clients. It also has the added benefit of offering incentives such as a cash bank return program and free airmiles via the Alpha Bank Payroll account.
Astro Bank – Started in 2007 Astro Bank was formally known as Piraeus Bank of Cyrus. It has a network of roughly 20 Branches and two international business hubs in Nicosia and Limassol and can service English, Russian and Ukrainian speakers.
It offers a great variation in products including debit and credits cards as well as private and business banking services.
When moving to Cyrus and using a Cypriot bank be forewarned that patience might at time be required. You could find that although very helpful the speed of service might be slower than what you are used to. Also, be aware that smaller branches might work shorter hours with many branches closing at 13.30.
Opening a Bank Account in Cyprus
The Cypriot banking system has been transformed in recent years allowing both private and business clients to benefit from better services. These improvements have seen one’s ability to open an account become a much simpler process, typically only requiring the following in terms of documentation-
- A valid form of ID
- Utility bill from the applicant (must be less than 6 months old)
- Completed application form provided by the selected bank
Once your bank account application is approved you can send money to Cyprus immediately. Once you transfer money to Cyprus it should normally land in your Cypriot bank account within 1-3 days, subject to your location.
The Best Way to Transfer Property Deposit to Cyprus?
When you have finally found your dream home in Cyprus and established a bank account you will need to send money to Cyprus for both the purchase and in order to credit your Cypriot bank account. This is where a foreign exchange broker comes into its own. As foreign exchange specialists who are familiar with buying processes and transfer money to Cyprus regularly, they can add value.
- Property deposit – Once you have selected a home and signed a reservation agreement a deposit of €3000 or 1% of the property value will be expected. We strongly suggest that buyers seek guidance from a solicitor before they send money to Cyprus for an initial deposit. Whilst many are experts in Cypriot legal processes it’s worthwhile checking the company’s authenticity. Companies such as Rational FX and Currencies Direct can assist with this initial foreign exchange transfer and any other payments needed to complete the purchase. A foreign exchange broker will also offer the choice of fixing the full amount of Euros you need to complete if the rate is advantageous.
- Stage payments – shortly after an initial property deposit is sent and contracts are approved the second payment of 10% for resales and between 20-30% for new builds will be required. They will also discuss the timing of other stage or final payments in order for you to send money to Cyprus and potentially capitalise from foreign exchange market movements. New build properties will more likely be paid off in tranches whilst resales will be paid for in full a few days before the completion date.
- Regular payments to Cyprus – if you take out a mortgage in Cyprus it’s very likely that you will need to transfer money to Cyprus on an ad-hoc basis to top up your account or send money on a monthly basis to pay a Euro mortgage. A specialist offers the opportunity to fix a rate for up to a year ensuring the costs of your payments. Rational FX and Currencies Direct allow you to make these payments via telephone, online or using an app.
Can I Send Money from a Cypriot Bank Account to the UK?
Money can be sent quickly and easily from Cyprus to the UK. All you’ll need is the account details for the UK bank and money can be sent via the SEPA payments system. Your broker or bank can arrange a EUR/GBP currency conversion, once the money arrives and is converted the money will arrive in the UK shortly after.
Can I Send Money from a Cypriot Bank Account to a US Bank Account?
Your broker can also assist with transfers to the US, you’ll need the US banks account details including a swift code. Once these are supplied to your foreign exchange broker or bank the payment should arrive in the states a few days afterwards.
Cypriot bank account details
Whether you are currently residing in Cyprus or are planning on moving to Cyprus, it is a good idea to understand the different bank codes you might need. The Iban code will be made up of the following
- CY – ISO country code for Cyprus
- 17 (IBAN check digits)
- BBAN (24 digits including, Bank ID, Branch Number & account number)
Cyprus is a member of the SEPA payments system, meaning transfers from other SEPA members should take at most 1-2 days.
Sending Bank Deposits to Cyprus
Retail banks and foreign exchange specialists are commonly used to send deposits to Cyprus. All that’s needed is your Spanish account details with IBAN etc and a broker can process the payment at a competitive rate.